July/August 2010 Sailing Trip — Day 24

We decided a couple of days ago that we’d go sailing again today. It’ll be the last chance we get on this trip, ’cause we’re leaving for Utah day after tomorrow :(

The tides keep slipping until later, as they will do, so we can’t really get out of here before 11:30 or so. So, we decided to get some more work done.

I couldn’t let that holey hose just sit there! (From yesterday’s accidental drilling of the scupper hose…remember?)

So, back to work. I did convince myself that there was only one hole, not two or more, and we patched it with…5200, what else! After all, there won’t be pressure on it, only water flowing past. We didn’t have the energy to try to fix the 2″ × 2″ hole we’d chopped in the locker wall, so we’ll have to do that later. But I did finish routine the cable to the switch on one end and the sensor on the other, and it is all hidden away behind locker doors and in the garage.

When I started connecting the cable to the switch is when I discovered that my original wiring of the switch had two errors in it! I don’t have a clue if that might have explained the false alarms when the sensor was mounted near the batteries, but I really had to fix it. It took another couple of hours to get it right, but we prevailed. Now the sensor is near the stove in a reasonable location, and it all seems to work properly (and without false alarms).

By now, the tide was high and we dropped everything else, made the boat shipshape, and cast off. Abby went with us this time, with a little trepidation, but glad to be with us anyway. Again, like a few days ago, conditions were idea…better, even. The temperature was about 5º cooler, but the winds were a very steady 10-12kt and the seas were 1-2′. Perfect for a leisurely sail. So, once again, we just sailed however the wind wanted us to do.

On the way out, Barbara decided to mount our horseshoe life preserver in its proper place on the stern rail. And she lost her grip. And it went into the water. Well, at least we know it floats now 😉 And we did a quick man-overboard drill, which proved that a) in calm seas and light winds, we can do it, but b) if the conditions had been rougher, we would have not been so quickly successful. More drills are needed!

Once we were about seven or eight miles offshore, we hove to (gotta practice all these skills, ya know) for about a half hour or so while we just sat and talked. Abby seemed to be enjoying herself at least somewhat, except she really wanted to stay in the shade; the sun was just too hot for her. And for us. At some point, I realized that we should get a move on or we’d have trouble getting back to the dock because of the tide going out. So we fell off the wind, completed the tack we’d started while heaving to, and started back towards Clearwater Pass.

Everything went swimmingly, no problems, just a great day sailing. I think we’re beginning to get the hang of some of this. All four sails this trip had no shouting at all. Our departures were calm and uneventful (well, except for getting that spring line wrapped around the prop on the second sail and having to dive the prop to clear it), our raising and dropping of the sails were similarly calm and uneventful, the sailing itself involved no shouting at all, and our docking maneuvers were spot on without the least bit of raised voices. Even Barbara admits that I was not my too-frequent sarcastic self, but treated her with the dignity and respect she deserves in any case, but especially with the stellar job she did during casting off and docking.

Tomorrow, we have to start putting the boat to bed, ’cause we’re leaving VERY early on Friday morning.

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>